The Garmin Approach S1 Waterproof Golf GPS Watch is one of the most advanced golf GPS watches on the market. It combines a high sensitivity GPS receiver with a lightweight, flexible sports watch and has the following fantastic features:
Waterproof (IPX7) golf watch
1.0 in. monochrome LCD display
high-sensitivity GPS receiver
Automatically sets time and time zone
Odometer measures how far you have walked on the course
Measures shot distance and tells you precise yardages for shots played from anywhere on the course
Measures yardages to the front, back and middle of the green
Pre-loaded with over 14,000 U.S. and Canadian courses which are being constantly updated and available out of the box
unlimited course capacity
Sunlight viewable screen with large numbering for instant visibility
The Garmin Approach S1 Waterproof Golf GPS Watch comes packaged with a charging/data clip, AC charging adapter and an owner’s manual
backed by a 1 year warranty
Physical dimensions: 1.8″ x 2.7″ x 0.6″ (4.5 x 6.9 x 1.4 cm)
Display size, WxH: 1.0″ (2.54 cm) diameter
Display resolution, WxH: 64 x 32 pixels
Display type: monochrome LCD
Weight: 1.8 oz (52 g) with batteries
Battery: rechargeable lithium-ion
Battery life: 3 weeks (watch mode); 8 hours (GPS mode)
Water rating: IPX7 (1 meter)
1) Convenience:- One of the main things I like about the Garmin Approach S1 Waterproof Golf GPS Watch is the convenience of just looking at my watch and being able to see the front, back and middle yardage. It may not sound like a big deal but having this information on my wrist as opposed to my pocket or a golf bag is a real time saver and improved the speed of my game as well as my enjoyment.
2) Accuracy:- Another thing that makes the Garmin Approach S1 Waterproof Golf GPS Watch an excellent piece of kit to have on the golf course is the accuracy. I’ve tried a number of devices in the past and this beats 90% of the offerings in terms of accuracy and easily matches the other 10%.
3) No Subscriptions:- A third very good feature of the Garmin Approach S1 Waterproof Golf GPS Watch is that you get constant updates for no extra cost. I personally hate paying extra subscription fees when I’ve already paid triple figures for a product so it was refreshing that all the updates come as standard with the purchase price.
1) No Distance To Bunkers or Hazards:- My main criticism of the Garmin Approach S1 Waterproof Golf GPS Watch is that it does not measure the distance to bunkers or hazards. It will not give you precise yardages to the flag stick. It will only give you the front, middle, and back distances. This isn’t a massive problem as on courses that I’m familiar with I can judge this pretty accurately. However, on new courses I generally have to get my iPhone out and measure the yardage to hazards with GolfShot. This is still a lot better than having to get a device out every time I need to measure yardage but it would be nice if all measuring could be done from within the watch.
Overall I loved the Garmin Approach S1 Waterproof Golf GPS Watch. The lack of distance to hazards was a little disappointing but I’ve been told this is coming in future updates which won’t cost me a thing. Even when I do have to get my iPhone out to measure the yardage to hazards, the Garmin Approach S1 Waterproof Golf GPS Watch still speeds up my overall game considerably. To get this convenience and accuracy for a one-time cost with no subscriptions really is a no brainer. If you golf regularly this item is a must have.